Highlights Bangkok Backpacker SpeakingThai
Photo gallery Tourismthailand Guestbook / Q&A Trekking-Tad Hin Yao
- Thailand is a Buddhist country where Buddha images are held sacred. Sacrilegious acts are punishable by imprisonment even if committed by foreign visitors.
- Thai people hold their King and Queen and the Royal family in great reverence, and so wont tolerate foreigners showing disrespect to them.
- Generally Thai women are conservative. So dont touch them without their consent.
- Dress properly when entering a Buddhist temple. Miniskirts and shoes are not allowed. Take your shoes off before going inside the hall of worship. Ladies must not on any account touch a Buddhist monk, give things direct to him or receive things direct from him.
- Intimacies between man and women should not be shown in public. Sunbathing in the nude is prohibited.
- Call Thais their first names ; use the title Khun for adults.
- Normally, Thai people address others by their first names and with the title Khun So dont be surprised if you are addressed as Khun Mary or Khun John instead of by your surname.
- Traditionally, Thais greet each other with a wai ( by pressing the palms together at the chest). If someone wais you, you should wai back (except wai_ed by child).
- Thai people smile to express gladness and happiness, to thank for small services, to return the wai of children and inferior persons, and even to excuse small inconveniences.
- Dont touch a persons head, nor ruffle his hair. The head is the no blest part of the body. A sincere apology should be offered immediately if you touch someones head unintentionally.
- Avoid placing your feet on the table while sitting. Never use your foot to point things out or to touch any part of the body of anyone, which is considered rude.
- Entering a Thai house, youre expected to remove your shoes.
- Dont get involved with any kind of narcotic drugs, gambling, child prostitution or other illegal activities that violate the law,
- Dont walk in isolated places.
- Strictly observe the warning signs at tourist attractions. Dont violate the law, as this, as result in severe consequences.
- Be careful with your bags and valuables when traveling. Dont leave then unattended.
- Dont accept any complimentary tour offered by a stranger. Reliable tourist information and safe tours are only provided by a tour agency with a license.
- Before using any service, check the information before making a final decision and keep all the important related documents in case a problem should arise after using the service.
- Dont take any foods, drinks, or candies offered by a stranger.
- Dont spit saliva or phlegm, discard cigarette stubs, or throw away any garbage in public areas, on the streets, or on the ground.
- Consult Thaiways web or Thaiways magazine, the most comprehensive guide to Thailand, or obtain information about the tourist destination from the Tourism Authority of Thailand before traveling. Check the weather conditions, especially when going to the sea, and your health, so that your trip will go smoothly.
If you have any problems while traveling, please contact the tourist service centre.
Tel : 1672 (24 hours)
Highlights Bangkok Backpacker SpeakingThai Photo gallery Tourismthailand Guestbook / Q&A